Saturday, November 27, 2010

Viernes Negro

Some things have a direct link to my happy bone.  Just to name a few; Michelob Golden Draft Light, Captain Morgan, and time away from school/work all jolt my dopamine levels.  However, in addition to all of these, I can't seem to avoid Black Friday for the life of me.  Some people collect worthwhile things that actually appraise in value.  Unfortunately, I choose to collect DVDs, which depraise in quality AND technology.  Although, on Black Friday, you're essentially buying them for the same price you would if you were to be renting them.  So I guess that's the theory or mindset that fuels my addiction.

So, motivated by Stephen Colbert, here's my "Tip of the Hat/Wag of the Finger" Black Friday Edition.  "Tip of the Hat" goes out to the Wal-mart Crew in Waseca, MN.  I've simply noticed that in comparison to other Wal-marts, your store actually strategically arranges the Black Friday deals.  This eliminates much of the clutter that I don't want to deal with at 5 A.M.  "Wag of the Finger" goes out to Wal-mart at 59th Ave./Bell in Glendale, AZ.  First, you decide to clutter all of the Promo DVDs in an area smaller than my Freshman Year Dormroom.  Next, you don't even properly color-code your cardboard shelves to indicate which DVDs belong where.  Third, you have your staff and other customers returning DVDs and Video Games that don't even belong in the Promo shelves.  Finally, you have customers bringing their full-sized carts through these small aisles to look at DVDs.  This was absolutely ridiculous.  I understand if you want to guard your Black Friday "Jewels", but don't bring carts through an area where it's already difficult to find standing/viewing space.  Cripes.

So, I'm sure many people have this problem:  Denzel Washington Addiction.  You're just strolling through the available DVDs, and you're like "What the hell is that movie?"  You're like, well, I can definately pass that one up for now.  And then you see him, and it hits you like a freight train.  You're like, "Shit, it's got Denzel."  Then your mind starts scattering.  The impulse-buy gears must be turning in your head again.  Then you make your uncontrolled decision to make the purchase.  This happens to me every Black Friday, so I'm sure you can add Denzel to my "happy-bone activator list" mentioned above.  Am I mad?  No, I just got a Denzel-Movie.  Life is real.  I mean, how many movies with Denzel Washington can you classify as truly "bad" movies?  None?  Didn't think so.  I couldn't name any either.  With that said, now you know my Black Friday Vulnerabilities.

Changing gears.  A few nights ago, I watched Dog the Bounty Hunter (Cue Cartman Singing:  "I am da dawgggggg, the big bad dawgggg, da hallway monitorrrrrr").  I'm really diggin' my optometry studies so far, but how sweet would it be to live as a bounty hunter?  I could take a break from school, and travel the United States looking for the biggest and baddest crooks.  I mean seriously, I could do a much better job than "Dog" and Beth.  They're like celebrities now.  And let's be real, it's not too hard for Beth to "naturally" stand out in a crowd (Those who have seen her know my drift).  Any criminal would recognize them and practice proper evasion techniques.  But me, I could be inconspicuous and take 'em down.

Welp, those are my thoughts for today.  Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday.  Wish me luck in surviving optometry school until Christmas.  Today's LotD emphasizes this push/pull relationship of graduate school.

Follow your bliss,
KJL

LotD:  (Jimmy Eat World - The Middle)
"Hey, don't write yourself off yet,
It's only in your head you feel left out, or looked down on.
Just do your best, do everything you can.
And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say."

2 comments:

  1. Kwank,
    I miss you, and hope you are well and enjoying all of the heat of AZ.
    Hopefully I will see you over Christmas?
    love StooP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoop!!

    Miss you too man. Arizona has been awesome during this winter. It still gets down to about 40 degrees at night, but has been about 65 degrees in the afternoons. Good enough for me though!

    I'll definately see you at Christmas. I can't wait to be home for that. I fly in on the evening of Dec. 22nd and will be in the area until Jan. 1st. I'll see you sometime within those dates. Until then, hope things go well at the Academy these next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete