Friday, November 12, 2010

Cheers to Blogging!

As a child, I never had any interest in keeping a blog for my thoughts and life events.  Eighth grade brought significant displeasure in the requirement to keep a journal.  I remember trying to condemn the assignment as criminal.  Not because I thought it was unfair (I thought it was a great idea), but rather that I was always jealous that my friends could successfully write about such witty and insightful topics.  After seeing my dear friend Alastar Swift's new blogs, it's needless to say that not much has changed in that aspect of things  (I encourage you to check out his two blogs listed in my "Blogs I'm Following" Section or via the hyperlink).  All things considered, I thought the concept of blogging/journaling was created simply to personally smite me and my ineptness regarding a successful imagination.

But, I digress.  Yesterday morning marked the completion of the hardest academic quarter that I've ever enrolled in.  Key Word:  Completion.  Yes, completion, meaning that I'm still on-track for successfully becoming an optometrist.  In the eyes of a fiscal conservative, it also means that I didn't have to watch my new student loan addition of $60,000 amount to nothing.  And no, it's important to not get confused, and think that $60,000 is my total amount of loans.  That would be too heavenly and dreamy.  Instead, after the completion of my undergraduate and doctorate degrees, my "brain power/knowledge" will equate to approximately $300,000 (Plus interest) in student loans.  Needless to say, there's just a little pressure in successfully making it through a professional degree.

So what do sleep-deprived, immunosuppressed dental and optometry students do immediately after completing our first set of final exams?  What do any young adults do following a rigorous academic battle?  We get drunk.  REALLY drunk.  After a few pars in "Bar-Golf", I'm starting to feel like a real shankapotomus.  I started picking up positive strokes worse than John Daly on a bad day.  Yes, it was THAT bad.  As I full-heartedly enjoyed my significantly increased sensory stimulation and inability to keep my eyelids open to participate in conversation, I suddenly began to think back to how far I've come over the past eight years.  I've went from never flying in a plane in early high-school, to traveling to Honolulu, Houston, San Antonio, Washington D.C., Madrid, Valladolid, Salamanca, Segovia, Toro, London, Berkeley/Oakland, Mazatlan, and now Glendale/Phoenix.  Obviously pictures are very helpful in visually reliving these experiences, but in my drunken perplexity and mind-screwing experience, I decided that I needed to withhold my thought processes and emotions in a much more worthwhile fashion.  So following a twenty minute van ride home (Perceived as two minutes in my cognitive state), two double-double burgers from "In & Out", and a morning of much needed sobriety, I give you the best thing since sliced Johnnie bread coupled with peanut butter and honey:  A "Site" For Sore Eyes!!!

Pun intended of course.  As Jonathan Swift once said shortly before his derangement in 1738, "The sight of you is good for sore eyes."  And that's where I come in folks.  Not necessarily by my personal appearance, unless you'd consider that to be true, but instead and more importantly by providing you with a "site" for your viewing pleasure.  I'll be aiming to simply write on my life occurences and thought processes.  In addition to that, I'll add in my infamous "Lyrics of the Day" (LotD) to each post as well.  Posts may be relatively infrequent, and will be inversely proportional to my optometry schedule.

Follow your bliss,
KJL

LotD: (Boston - Peace of Mind)
"People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind..."

1 comment:

  1. aah you took my idea of adding a great quote to end on.. it won't stop me, but lyrics are a great way. touche

    ReplyDelete