Saturday, November 20, 2010

"There is no history of mankind, there is only an indefinite number of histories of all kinds of aspects of human life." ~ Karl Popper

Speaking of history, let's talk football.  Now, you can imagine my disappointment when you recall the fact that I'm a homegrown, Minnesota lad.  The Vikings haven't been all too stellar so far throughout this 2010-2011 season.  Historically, the purple-people-eaters and prior rosters alike have brought four Super Bowl Appearances.  In addition to this, Bud Grant had a streak of winning eleven of thirteen divisional championships during the '70s.

However, for our generation of excitement, the Minnesota Vikings have been dependent upon Dennis Green, Mike Tice, and "Chillydawg".  I refer to Brad Childress by this title because he simply doesn't deserve a true referral at this point.  Granted, Chillydawg has had success in prior seasons.  Let the record show sequential seasonal record improvement of (6-10), (8-8), (10-6), and (12-4) from 2006-2009.  However, Chilydawg loses all credibility following the moment when I was forced to watch Mike Tice strut his smirk following the Vikings loss last week.  I mean, the whole Moss release was bad enough in itself, but then it's followed by losing to a team with Mike Tice on the coaching roster?  Comeon, really?  Mike Tice... Winning?  That's like one of those math equations that simply doesn't make sense.  You know, if the sum of (2+2) was equal to "5", then Mike Tice would be a good coach.  But with Commodore Chillydawg, common arithmetic is even losing its grasp in this context.

So, in retrospect, I turn your attention to "Exhibit A" found below this text.  Exhibit A is the representation of a perfectly sewn, authentic Reebok NFL Jersey.  This image represents my feelings prior to the 2010 Minnesota Vikings Football Jersey.  Notice the tremendous spacing, limited wrinkles, and independent positioning within a marvelous, walk-in closet.  Things had seemed to be improving for these folks.  People in the nation were actually paying attention to Minnesota Athletics.

Taking a brash transition, Chillydawg has lost all team chemistry.  Ironic in a sense, considering that this was one of his main fundamentals as a coach.  This leads to "Exhibit B".  This image contains a trash reciprical used for eliminating solid waste.  Please note that the prior unwrinkled jersey has now taken new shape in its new home following the loss to the Bears.  Unfortunately, I lack the motivation to truly part ways with the purple and white, but a loss to the Pack tomorrow morning could yield new found glory.  In that case, I could always turn to my favorite AFC team.  Have you ever heard their catchy tune?
==========================================================

So, what does Karl Popper really mean with his quote?  No, it's not about a bunch of finely tuned athletic machines running around in a purple, yellow, and white jersey.  My frustrations may have simply gotten the best of me upon that reflection.  Instead, it's a reflection upon how naive we can become as time passes, and how invaluable past events are.

During my time off from optometry school, I've had great opportunities to finally relax in Arizona.  I've spent the past week hanging out with my mother and grandparents.  In these moments, I have had significant curiosity to listen into some of the stories that each of them remember while growing up.  In particular, I want to briefly discuss my grandfather's story from his childhood.  As long as I can truly remember, I've been aware that he was a World War II Veteran upon enlisting in the Navy shortly after enrolling at NDSU.  However, as a child, I was always naive in learning the specifics.  My grandfather was interested in becoming a veterinarian, but was forced to postpone his schooling.  With a relatively low draft number, he decided to enlist in the U.S. Navy (Potentially yielding a service preference).  Consequentially, he began his assignment in the Pacific Islands.

What really gets me most is his description of Pearl Harbor in 1943.  The demolished fragments scattered across the bay, specifically from the U.S.S. Arizona.  Traveling across the world in an era unruled by technological advancements.  In addition to these stories, I also had the opportunity to hear and discuss agricultural techniques throughout "The Great Depression."  All of these priceless and invaluable stories told in detail, and I'm yet to hear and understand them all (Hopefully more to come).  Instead of concentrating on these historic encounters, I'm more easily able to provide indepth analysis on the 2010 Vikings season that holds no bearing past temporary entertainment.  The joke's on us.

Follow your bliss,
KJL

LotD - (Simon & Garfunkel - Sound of Silence)
"And in the naked light I saw,
Ten thousand people, maybe more...
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share,
And no one dared,
Disturb the sound of silence..."

1 comment: